Blackbaud instructions that are available from the Raiser's Edge help topics menu are very useful. Since Raiser’s Edge custom crystal reports are based on data exports, it is important to think about data security on a local computer where information is usually exported.
For information about installing Crystal Reports for Blackbaud, see the Installing Crystal Reports chapter in the Installation Guide.
These are instructions from the Raiser’s Edge help menu:
- On the Raiser’s Edge bar, click Reports. The Reports page appears.
- Click the Custom Report category link in the Reports column. The Custom Reports screen appears.
A list of all saved report parameter files appears on the right half of the screen.
- To open an existing report, select the report parameter file, and click Open. The report parameter file appears, displaying the General tab. You can make changes to the file and click File, Save from the menu bar.
- To create a new parameter file, click New. The Custom Report screen appears displaying the General tab. Only exports based on a Microsoft Access database appear on the Exports screen.
- In the Select Export field, select the export file you want to use as a data source for your custom report. To access a list of all export files created for use with Crystal Reports, click the binoculars. The Open screen appears.
- From this screen you can select an existing export file or create a new export file.
If the export file you associate with a Crystal Report parameter file does not contain all the fields used in the report, an error message appears, telling you fields required by the report are not present in the export file.
- To select a file, highlight the file name and click Open. You return to the Custom Report screen and the selected export file name appears in the Select Export field.
- To create a new export file, click Add New. The Create a New Export screen appears. From here you can create an export file to use with Custom Reports. After you create and save your export file, you return to the Custom Report screen and the selected export file name appears in the Select Export field.
- Every time you run a saved Custom Report, The Raiser’s Edge checks to see if the fields present on the report are still part of the export file. You can add more fields to the export file without messing up the report. However, you cannot remove fields. If you do, a validation error appears, informing you the export file is no longer compatible with the Crystal Report. Once you select an export file, you can edit the file from the Custom Report screen by clicking the Click to edit export button next to the binoculars in the Select Export field. The export file appears, displaying the General tab. Make any necessary changes and save the export file to return to the Custom Report screen. In the Select Crystal Report field on the Custom Report screen, select the Crystal Report file you want to link to the selected export file. To search for a saved Crystal Report file, click the icon at the end of the field. The Open screen appears.
Locate the Crystal Report file you want to link to the selected export file and click Open. You return to the Custom Report screen. The selected report name appears in the Select Crystal Report field.
If you want the selected export file to automatically refresh every time you view the report, mark Refresh Export. If you do not mark this checkbox, the program checks to see if the export file exists on your machine. If it does, the program uses the existing export file; if it does not, the program generates the export file, regardless of the settings.
All the Raiser’s Edge fields included in the selected Crystal Report must be included in the selected export file. If not, an error message appears.
You cannot delete fields from an export field if the export file is associated with a Custom Report. TheRemove button is disabled in Export. You also cannot delete an export file associated with a Custom Report. If you try, an error message appears.
Click Preview to view a copy of the report on your screen before printing it out. A screen appears tracking the export process.
A copy of the report appears on your screen. If the report appears to be in order, you can click the Print icon at the top of the preview screen and print the report.
If the designer of the original Crystal Report selected the Save Data with Report option in Crystal, the option is turned off before the report is saved in The Raiser’s Edge database. However, the original copy of the report is left in tack. Only the definition of the report is saved to The Raiser’s Edge database.
To save the report parameter file, click File, Save from the menu bar. The Save report as screen appears.
Enter a Report name and a Description. You can also choose to allow other users to run or modify this report parameter file.
Click Save. You return to the Custom Reports screen.
To return to the Reports page, select File, Close from the menu bar.